Price: $1500 + gst
Dates: April 26 – May 2, 2022
Pre Requisites if you are looking to receive your Touring 1 or 2 Instructor Certification.
- At least 18 years of age
- Current Paddle Canada Membership
- Paddle Canada Touring 2 skills certification, or equivalent skills and knowledge
- Paddle Canada Advanced Flatwater SUP Instructor certification
- Paddle Canada Touring 1 SUP Instructor certification
- Current certification in standard first aid and CPR (14-16hrs)
- Experience beyond that of the Touring 2 SUP Skills Course
- Class Ratio: 1 instructor trainer: 6 candidates (minimum of three registered candidates)
- 6 nights and 7 days of SUP Guide Training & Paddle Canada Touring 2 Instructor Training.
- Paddle Canada Touring 2 Instructor Manual.
- NHE Rite in the Rain Journal
- Transportation and accommodation while on Vancouver Island.
- Paddle Canada Instructor Trainer membership or upgrade fee.
- Paddling & Safety Equipment.
Space is limited in training courses and your spot is not guaranteed until we have received full payment.
A Week of Coastal Guide & Paddle Canada Touring Instructor Training.
This is a 7 day Guide & Paddle Canada Touring Instructor Training course. We have built on 2021 course and have added two extras days. Our course begins in Comox, B.C. and includes a day of theory & navigation training, an on water day each on the Salish Sea and Surge Narrows Marine Park. From there we head to Tofino, B.C. for some surf training and three days paddling around Vargas Island. This course is for flatwater instructors who have a goal of leading others on day and multi day trips in more dynamic coastal paddling environment. We focus on group management, coastal navigation, technical skills, weather forecasting, loading your board for overnight trips, safety and rescue and building a strong guiding and instructional skill sets while building confidence and competency on Class 2-4 waters. This will be a fun, challenging and thorough week of guide training and Paddle Canada Instructor training and our team looks forward to helping you accomplish your goals. This course would also be of interest if you are looking at building your coastal sup skill set and having an incredible learning vacation over seven days.
- Inflatable or Hard Touring Board appropriate for ocean touring. A minimum of 12′ – 12’6″ long with front and rear attachments.
- Paddle or adjustable paddle
- PFD with rescue belt(jacket style, no waist belts)
- Coil or quick release touring leash.
Safety and Teaching Equipment
- First Aid kit
- Instructional equipment to support teaching topics
What to Wear for Paddling (suggested)
- 5 mm Booties with sole or water shoe with waterproof or neoprene socks
- Clothing Option 1: For upper and lower body clothing system I personally wear Vaikobi V Cold Flex Pant and V Cold L/S Base with a pair of board shorts or waterproof short worn over the flex pant. (see attached video)
- Clothing Option 2: Drysuit, I suggest the Mustang Survival Hudson Drysuit. It will keep you warm and dry but may be too warm if it’s hot. Depending on weather we could be wearing a drysuit or wetsuit for most of the time, especially on the west coast.
- Clothing Option 3: Farmer Jayne or John with waterproof paddling jacket overtop.
- Fleece or synthetic hooded mid layer jacket
- Waterproof jacket and pants
- Mid Layer with extra down jacket
- Baseball Cap and Toque
- Paddling gloves for cool days or if hands are sensitive
- Pair of synthetic shorts
- Bathing suit
- Pair of pants
- 2 long sleeve shirts
- 2 short sleeve shirts
- 1 sweater or sweatshirt
- 2 pair of wool/synthetic socks
- 2 sets of long underwear
- 2-3 pair of underwear
- Sun screen
- Sunglasses with a retainer
- Prescription eyeglasses or contacts
- Spare eyeglasses or contacts
- Wet Wipes
- Synthetic camp towel
- Spare medication
- Insect repellent
- Headlamp and batteries
- Camera (optional)
- Extra digital storage and batteries
- 1-2 litre water bottle
- thermos for hot drinks
- 1-2 person lightweight tent
- Compressible 3 season sleeping bag
- Sleeping pad or Thermarest
- Small packable pillow
- Small camping stove/Jetboil/MSR Whisper Lite.
- 5ooml Butane or 1 litre white gas
- Cooking pot (if you are not using a Jetboil)
- knife, fork, spoon
- 2 10 L Dromedary Bags for water each. MSR Dromedary Bags work great.
- Pristine or Aquatabs water treatment
You will be bringing and packing your own food for day trips and overnight trips. Make sure your meals are filling and nutritious to support you on your paddling days. Freeze dried food bags are light, delicious and work well for sup camping. Bring snacks and easily accessible bars in case paddling days are longer.
What to Wear & What to Pack