Dates: May 21-22, with option to add Day 3 (May 23) and/or Day 4 (May 24th)
Price: 2 morning skills and exploration: $249 + gst. Add a 3rd and/or 4th day for $99/day.
Location: Comox, BC
Time: 8:30am – 12:00pm (weather and water conditions dependent)
Your Guide: Neil Gilson, Wilderness Guide and Paddle Canada Instructor Trainer.
No previous experience is necessary – our Salish Sea Explorer adventures are suitable for those who are brand new to stand up paddling, or for those who have some experience already but are relatively new to paddling in an ocean environment.
- Certified Paddle Canada Touring Instructor
- Paddle Canada Basic SUP skills certification – 2 morning starter series
General Skills and Knowledge Overview
2 Morning Starter Series
- Gear, clothing and equipment basics
- Paddling Skills – safe launching and landing; efficient and effective forward strokes; course corrections
- Safety and decision making
- Coastal environment and awareness.
- Exploratory tours
Mornings 3 and 4
- Paddling skills – footwork and bracing, refining forward strokes
- Understanding weather, tides and route selection.
- More exploration of the Salish Sea.
Mornings on the Salish Sea with our Intro to Ocean Paddling.
Whether you are new to stand up paddling or new to the ocean environment it pays to get a good solid start with an experienced guide. Our Salish Sea Explorer series eases you onto the water for consecutive mornings with a focus on developing your technical paddling skills, ocean awareness, and safety knowledge, all while gaining experience exploring the beautiful coastline of the Salish Sea near Comox on Vancouver Island.
Coastal mornings are usually the best time for paddling leaving you the rest of the day to do whatever you want or need to do! If our Salish Sea Explorer is part of your visit to the Island you might spend your afternoons discovering our many local trails, beaches, or swimming holes!
Our 2-morning starter series is the perfect introduction to ocean exploration with enough time to develop the skills and knowledge for stand up paddling on relatively calm seas and wind-protected waters. We will be exploring a different area each morning and you can add a 3rd or 4th consecutive morning of paddling to extends your experience into more open waters and short crossings. This is a great way to include progressive SUP adventure as part of your visit to Vancouver Island!
No matter how many mornings you choose, we leave you ready to start exploring on your own and stoked for more! Book into one of our scheduled series or, contact us about booking your own Salish Sea Explorer adventure for you and your small group that fits into your time off, or your visit to Vancouver Island!
To get started with our Salish Sea Explorer book our 2 day experience and if you would like to add a 3rd or 4th day you can do that at the time of booking. This experience is weather dependant and we will do our best to accomplish your goals while keeping you comfortable on the water.
- Inflatable or Hard Touring Board appropriate for touring (if you have a surf style board it must be outfitted with gear tie-downs)
- Vest style lifejacket with whistle
- Drybag for day trips.
- Neoprene top or summer wetsuit for potential immersion (early season)
- Neoprene Booties or other water/paddling shoes
- Bring a change of warm clothes including a waterproof shell and mid layer.
- High energy snacks
- Water/Tea/Coffee as desired
- Sun glasses (and straps), sunscreen, sun hat (hopefully needed!)
- Waterproof phone case/camera.
Rentals: If you are in need of a touring board and gear we can arrange rentals for you.