Price: $825 + gst
Dates & Location: Comox May 26 – 28th, July 4-6th
Skill Level: Paddle Canada Touring 1 Skills Course
Time: 9:00am -4:00pm each day – weather and conditions dependent
Paddle Canada Instructor: Comox, Neil Gilson
Basic or Advanced Flatwater SUP Skills OR equivalent experience. This is not an introductory paddle course and does require that you have some flatwater paddling experience and comfort on the water.
- Paddle Canada Touring Instructor Trainer
- 3 Days of Paddle Canada Touring 1 Skills training with overnight component.
- Paddle Canada Touring 1 Skills certification upon successful completion
- Board Rentals Available for $120/Course
Space is limited in training courses and your spot is not guaranteed until we have received full payment. Your course fees are fully refundable if you cancel a month prior to the start of the course. Cancellation less than a month prior to the course start date will result in the loss of the full course fee. Registrations may be transferred to another person for the same course. Norm Hann Expeditions reserves the right to cancel any course due to insufficient registrations or unsafe conditions. If Norm Hann Expeditions cancels a course, you will receive a full refund or may choose to transfer your payment to a future course. Please email email@example.com if you need to cancel at any time.
Learn expedition planning and ocean touring skills so you can plan and navigate your solo trips.
Our three day Coastal Expeditions Skills Course with one night of camping is a guide to the knowledge, decision making tools and touring strategies that will allow you to plan and manage your own personal tours over moderately exposed coastal waters and relatively short crossings.
Built around the framework of the Paddle Canada Touring 1 skills course, this course will focus on trip planning essentials including interpreting and applying tide and current information to your advantage, reading charts and coastal navigation basics, understanding and using weather and wind forecasts, choosing and packing gear and equipment for day tours, and route planning.
On the water we focus on technical paddling efficiency for touring, how to utilize coastal terrain to your advantage, paddle in wind and waves, and manage crossings. Throughout our three days you will gain experience in applying a strong foundation of hazard recognition, use of decision making models, safety and self rescue skills in all aspects of trip planning and management.
Join this course to build the confidence, skills, knowledge and experience you need for safe, fun and successful coastal adventures!
- Inflatable or Hard Touring Board appropriate for ocean touring.
- PFD (jacket style, no waist belts)
- Coil Leash
- 2 20-35L drybags for tent and sleeping kit, clothing, kitchen gear
- 10 L dry bag for day gear and extra’s
- 10-15 Litre dry bag or cooler bag for food.
Clothing & Extras
- booties/ sandals/water shoes
- Upper and lower body clothing system. A good system for cooler weather paddling is the Vaikobi V Cold Flex Pant and V Cold L/S. See video below.
- Board shorts
- extra clothing in case of immersion
- Waterproof jacket and pants
- Mid Layer fleece or Puffy Jacket
- water bottle
- headlamp with extra batteries
- 1-2 person tent
- Compressible sleeping bag
- Sleeping pad or Thermarest
- Small packable pillow
- Small camping stove/Jetboil/MSR Whisper Lite.
- Cooking pot
- knife, fork, spoon
- small thermos for tea or hot water
What to Wear & How to Pack Videos